In our first podcast of 2014, we discuss:
- Steam active user base exceeds Xbox Live
- Sony launches bricks at user base and the state of the Wii U as it turns 2.
- EA launches BF4 in what can charitably be called an ‘Alpha state’
- The past Console generation that was called ‘next gen,’ the games it spawned in console-land and PC, our thoughts on it, retrospective.
- 2013 in gaming and tech retrospective, what mattered to us and why
- Valve Steam Machines announced at CES
- AGDQ & the world of speedrunning
- What we’re playing
Art based on a photo by Piero Sierra
The OTF staff fires up its warp engines and discusses:
- Apple news
- Batman Arkham City goes GFWL-less – GOTY free on Steam; GFWL shutting down
- Steam Universe/Machines/OS
- Fall / next-gen titles people are looking forward to and why?
- What we’re playing lately
OTF08 arrived during a period of time when we were changing and updating a lot of things around here at OTF. As such, we internally considered OTF8 the beginning of “Season Two” of the OTF Podcast. With the arrival of “Season Two” came changes in the aesthetic of the website, forums, podcast tone, podcast album art – and of course, a revamping of the theme tune.
The revised version of “Over the Fence” features reworked mixing and more concise arrangement, which now incorporates a 4/4 version of the theme from “Beyond the Barrier,” giving the track (and the podcast) an actual “theme.”
Another new addition is live performances from musicians instead of sequenced MIDI. Featured on the track are Mackenzie Cook on guitar and Peter McCulloch on keyboards.